Join us for a look at the Green New Deal and what you can do to make it happen, in today's episode with an interview with Marie Venner.
When newly-elected Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez joined a group of young protesters who showed up in Nancy Pelosi's office, many heard for the first time about a Green New Deal.
The idea of a "Green New Deal" has been around for awhile, but it is gaining steam largely in part due to those young protestors with the Sunrise Movement who are pushing Congress to adopt it in the rulemaking for the 2019 session.
Sunrise Movement is youth-led and they speak for themselves. Find out more at SunriseMovement.org. Green for All and other movements are also promoting the Green New Deal.
On its website, the Sunrise Movement is asking people to contact their U.S. House Representative this week and on into the end of December. Ask:
The two key pillars of the Green New Deal are:
- Transition to clean fossil-fuel-free economy
- Jobs for everyone who wants them
Marie also suggests that we can make an impact by contacting our electricity companies.
- Sunrise Movement Green New Deal including list of congresspeople who are supporting the deal
- Five things to know about Ocasio-Cortez's 'Green New Deal' (The Hill, November 24, 2018)
- Green for All
- Contact your Representatives
- Xcel Energy Board of Directors email
Let's talk about it in the Podcast Discussion Group! Get access via the Green Team Essentials!